Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Non-Denzel Deja Vu


Do you recall my saying in my last blog that a particular restaurant we visited while in France really stood out, but that I’d explain in a later blog? Well, here’s the explanation…


One of our days in the Côte-d'Or was a real double hitter: a three hour lunch, a four hour dinner, and a wine tasting thrown in between the two for good measure! That night, Romain, our tour guide and FOM (Friend of Murph), was celebrating his 30th birthday and we were his guests. He made reservations at Le Charlemagne, a one star Michelin restaurant that is very difficult to get into. Supposedly, people wait months and months for a reservation. It is located in the beautiful village of Pernand-Vergelesses, which is only a few miles from Beaune. As we entered through the automatic glass doors, I immediately thought to myself, "Hmmm. This atmosphere reminds me a lot of Alinea.” (Remember that over-the-top restaurant in Chicago where we dined back in December?) I turned to my WWF, a.k.a. Murph, to share the thought, but before I could even utter the word “knock-off,” he said aloud, "Alinea!" Now far be it from me to say that Grant Achatz and his dining concepts aren’t original. I'm simply suggesting that quite possibly (okay, very possibly), he might have spent some time South of Paris. Alinea opened in 2005, while Le Charlemagne opened ten years ago, and with a much better view.

Seriously, it was just too much of a coincidence! Starting with the sleek dining room filled with beautifully polished, dark walnut tables (just like Alinea), courses that transform (just like Alinea), the unique serving pieces (just like Alinea), the distinctive presentation of each course (you guessed it: just like Alinea), and then ending with an entire menu that changes seasonally, just like...NEXT, Grant’s newest restaurant.






(Can you tell the difference? Or is it just me and Murph that can't?)

Did I mention that Le Charlemagne has this great visual at its dining room entrance? A digital koi pond, with little animated fish that scatter each time someone steps into the dining room, sound effects and all. It’s unbelievably realistic. Wouldn't it be funny if some of those goldfish swim their way to the Windy City?






P.S.: The only thing missing at this meal was Denzel...


0 comments: