Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pre-Irene

What to do when disaster is on its way? Head for the city! NYC, to be exact. Storm or no storm, nothing will stand in the way of comrades who are in the midst of a food battle.

Once I battened down the hatches and filled the bathtub with water, there was nothing left on my checklist to do except meet up with my WFF Shane and trump his L’artusi with Ai Fiori, a well- staffed, semi-serious Italian restaurant in midtown that came highly recommended by my friend Tim Kopec. Usually I scope out a place myself before taking Shane, but this time I used a lifeline, A.K.A. Tim. (He’s not only a top NYC sommelier and bona fide foodie, but a bit of a chef, too!)

Arriving early at Ai Fiori gave me a chance to leisurely peruse the wine list and menu. What to order first was an easy decision: with Caprese Salad on the menu and tomatoes at their peak, what’s left to think about?

There is nothing like fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. Seriously, each bite is an explosion of happiness in the mouth. How could anyone not like tomatoes? The only possible explanation is that they must be one of those green house-eating tomato people...but that’s like saying you don't like pasta when all you've ever tasted are Spaghetti-Os! (Which reminds me of when I was eight years old: my friend Suzy's mother wanted me to feel “at home," so she made me - her daughter's “goy-friend” - pasta smothered in Heinz 57.)

As far as the juice, I ordered a bottle of white and a bottle of red (Billy Joel would have been proud). After spotting another interesting white, I ordered that, too. As you can see, I was pulling out all the stops.


While the wine steward opened the first bottle of white, Shane texted me to say that he was stuck in the tunnel and would be at least another 30 minutes late.


When he finally arrived, stressed out from staring at bumper stickers on the BQE, our latest Battle of the Dinners officially began.

(Side note from The World According to Grae: I never wait for anyone when it comes to anything longer than 10 minutes. This rule has served me well over the years, so know that if we’re going out to eat and you're late, I’ll already have started eating by the time you get to the restaurant. Similarly, if we're going out clubbing and you’re held up, know that you'll find me on the dance floor - not at the bar - possibly with newly made friends. By doing this I never get pissy with anyone for being tardy!)

(The girl leaning on the post would never be me!)


First Course (or as I like to call it during these food wars, Round One) was a double order of Caprese, as I was confident Shane would share the same sentiment about the dish as I. Even better, both whites were not only lovely accompaniments to our appetizers but also paired well with the pasta dishes on the way.

The 2009 Friulano Collio and the 2010 Giovanni Almondo were real winners; however, the 2010 Giovanni Almondo Roero Arneis white was exceptionally refreshing and a very easy wine to drink. You know, just like your best bud – someone who is easy to hang out with, and won’t get pissy if you're an hour and a half late for dinner ;)!



The pastas arrived, and my score was triumphantly soaring: Trofie Nero, with ligurian crustacean ragoƻt, seppia, scallops and spiced mollica; and Risotto made with riso acquarello, lobster, bone marrow, saffron and shellfish. Deelish!


And then the entrees came. Talk about missing the mark! Sadly, a complete FAIL! The 89’, (may not be the best vintage but is drinking great), Tignanello I ordered couldn’t even lend these dishes a comeback move. There was only one thing to do.... SEND BACK the entrees and order more pasta, and fast! But even the risotto with bone marrow, as good as it was, earned insufficient points to make this battle a Grae Win...sigh.


( Ai fiori's entrees are proof that looks can be deceiving )

Until next time Shane, remember: It ain’t over till the fat lady sings (and at the rate my diet is going, that could very well be me…)

0 comments: