Thursday, August 4, 2011

When an Apple becomes a Tomato

When I first moved from the Island of Staten to the lovely Garden State, I felt a bit out of place and, at times, lonely. Where were the sidewalks, and why did Jerseyites insist on calling tomato sauce “gravy?” But as I settled in and began turning lemons into lemonade (or in my case, tomatoes into puree), I switched gears and focused on the wonderful aspects of life in New Jersey (click here), such as having deer graze on the front lawn, beautiful starry nights, total privacy, and the quaintness of local farm houses selling produce. All this country charm was right in my backyard, and still within striking distance to civilization (a.k.a. New York). What a great place to raise a family!

The only thing missing? Female wine enthusiasts! You know how they say, “Ask and you shall receive?” Well, who should happen to move in two houses down from me but a fellow oenophile – oh, happy day! Please indulge me while I quickly describe our first wine encounter: it was Easter Sunday. Stevie had opened a 1975 Petrus (click here) for me to taste, but wasn’t feeling like having any (I KNOW! I couldn’t believe it then, and I still can't believe it now)! Anyway, I asked him if he would mind if I brought the wine over to share with our new neighbor, Maralice. Since dinner was over, and it was just him and I and the monkeys hanging out at home, he said, "Sure, go ahead." Happily, I walked over, decanter in hand, and rang her bell both literally and with the wine :-) She has been my WFF ever since (Wine Food Friend)!

Maralice was not the only NJ crony to indulge in the fermented fruit - Debbie and Yvette were also apostles of the vine. So it soon became a triple play for me and my cellar of plenty!



Today, all three came over for a long overdue get-together. What was the on the menu for a day of girls and giggles? Veal chops, pasta and more pasta! Debbie is not a big fan of veal, so Yvette brought salad and Maralice made grilled chicken. I, however, enjoy a good chop every now and then, especially when it’s made with an 85-year-old balsamic vinegar (click here) drizzled on top. You could almost cry with happiness. One of the pasta dishes was a variation on the rav recipe I wrote about a few blogs back. (Check out my website for this one by clicking here, along with a very simple pasta with pomodoro sauce – that’s sauce, not gravy.)



The wine for the truffle buttered pasta was a 2001 Climens (click here). Bob (Parker - click here) was right for giving it 100 points, as it deserves every single one of them. The red sauce was paired with a lovely, light and extremely affordable Chianti, ( A 2008 Farnetella Chianti Collli -click here- to be exact and if you’d like I’d be happy to send you both the wine, and the Pomodoro sauce recipe.)

What’s left to do after a meal like this but lie by the pool, exhale, digest, and perhaps sip a bit of grappa…Mmmmmm!

0 comments: