Sunday, July 31, 2011

Veritas Revisited

Having recently dined at Scott Bryan's restaurant, Apiary (a.k.a. A destination restaurant), memories of Veritas came flooding back to me, especially when a familiar face and former "V" employee began serving Shane and me our first course.

Veritas is where I decided that the only place to dine is at the bar (btw, the bars of certain restaurants are still my favorite places to have a nosh or two). I have met so many great, generous, and life loving people by doing so.

Back in the day, my late husband Steve and I would meet at Veritas almost every Wednesday night, right after my weekly class at the International Wine Center. I called Wednesdays "Grae Days.” I’d leave my home in NJ and spend the entire day in NYC. Maybe I’d fit in hair, nails, perhaps a bit of shopping, but then I was off to school to formally learn about “the juice.” Needless to say, the wine poured in class would never find its way to a Sotheby's wine auction; however, it served its purpose. Once class ended, I quickly made haste to "V", where my hubby and several bottles of the finest wines would be waiting for me at the bar. They would be lined up along the back wall like the Rockettes, ready and waiting to start their signature kick line and show off their legs! Make that their legs, nose, acidity, tannins, finish, and body!With Steve being privy to my curriculum, the wines he brought were always in line with the ones showcased in class. So, if on a particular night we were learning about Pomerol, Steve would bring a half a case or so of various wines from that region. With so much great wine flowing, it was natural to share it with whoever happened to be sitting at the bar. Sometimes this prompted these newfound friends to reciprocate, sharing whatever they were having with us! There were times when we even swapped spit - in other words, drank from each other’s glasses (I know, I know - not the most hygienic thing to do, but hey - when you're in the moment and there is only so much 1961 Petrus to go around, you take the risk)!


The wines were just one fabulous component to this incredible equation, for aside from this tiny spot where, to quote the New York Times , the wine was “the Star,” there was also the food! The food at Veritas could make your heart sing, even though the menu hardly ever changed. (I have to say, the fare at most 3 and 4 star restaurants is sooo over the top. Take Alinea - that is a One and Done type of dining experience, whereas you could eat Scott’s food every night and always want more!) For me, that continuity was something that I not only didn’t mind but actually enjoyed. Remember when you were a kid and you knew that Sunday meant pasta, Monday was chicken, etc? There is a certain comfort in knowing what's for dinner - at least that's how I felt about it. Apparently I was not alone, as the Times awarded "V" 3 stars. Veritas has seen a few different faces in the kitchen since Steve passed away and Scott left. It has even regained its 3 star status (a very generous rating from the Times, but I'm a tough critic, and perhaps a slightly prejudiced one to boot...)

Although it saddens me that today’s Veritas is not the Veritas I knew, I'm grateful for the people I met there, the wines I tasted, and the wonderful memories that have filled both my journal and my heart. So here’s a toast to the good times…

Cin Cin! To Tim Bellardo, who made everyone feel as if they were a VIP; and Tim Kopec, who would graciously listen to my awful pronunciations of French labels; to Eric Ziller, (who you may now visit at Gotham Bar and Grill whose memory of my – and everyone else's – favorite Bordeaux would astound me; and Patrick Cappiello (who you can now visit at Gilt ), for always being so patient when explaining to me why one producer’s burgundy would be so very different from another’s; to the wait staff who handled your table like you were the only ones dining (even when the house was full); to bartenders like Melissa to K-K-K-Katie, who, because of their wit, authenticity and sense of fun, christened your seat at the bar the Best Spot in the House; and of course, to the patrons, who helped make every night a party…even if you arrived at Veritas alone, that wouldn’t last for long. Before the funky aromas from your vintage burgundy wore off, a fellow oenophile would be inviting you try their juice - the one whose nose was just ripe for the drinking!










Viva la Veritas... in wine there is truth, and in this case, in wine there are also wonderful memories


1 comments:

Tim Kopec said...

Grae,
This is one of the most honest personal reviews of Veritas i have read. Over the years i have heard many customers and friends recount they many visits. Almost without fail, they have all described in their own words, exactly what you have stated here. Great wine, great food, great people all equating to an amazing and memorable 'experience'
Tim