Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Still Raving about "Ravs"!

As much as I love to throw large parties, I also enjoy hosting small get-togethers. Cell phones are silenced and the Internet is off - at least for the majority of the time. Having all these technological interruptions is as bad as trying to be romantic with your man and the kids keep walking into the room... (You know how there is a Smoke Free / Smoke Out Day across America? Well, I want to declare a No Cell Phone, No Computer Day! ) So when my friend Val came over for a late lunch last Wednesday, we took the advice: Val and I “unplugged,” and tuned in only to our conversation (and of course, the food and wine).

The night before, I made ravioli again, but this time for my staff. They’ve had to listen to me go on and on about these coveted ricotta filled pasta squares of delight for a while now, so I thought it was only fair that they indulge. (As you can see, these ravs bring out a different side of me... unfortunately, they bring out sides ON me, too ;) !) I also wanted to share my Italian grandmother's recipe for Sugar and Cinnamon w/ Cheese Ravioli. As simple a recipe this is, it will release more dopamine throughout your body than any runner's high could ever give you (or so I've been told, since I wouldn't run even if someone were chasing me).

If tummies could clap their hands for joy, both Rosie and Katia's bellies would still be cheering. In the midst of our foodie-euphoria, I happened to look down at the black truffle butter and honey combo I had made earlier as a dip for our Parmigiano Reggiano shards. Suddenly, I wondered how the ravs would taste with the dip. So dip - no, scoop - the cinnamon-sweet ravioli into the truffle butter and honey I did!!! All I could say was, WOW!


Fast forward to late Wednesday afternoon and Valerie's arrival. Lunch began with a salad topped with Asian grilled chicken, followed by...drum roll, please...Ravioli Delicioso! (Still looking for a name for my new recipe, and would be most grateful if you left your suggestions in the comment section below.) This to-die-for dish was paired with a 2004 Donnhoff. Sheer bliss!

Val had brought cherries from the market on 47th street , which we added for color; but looking back, I'd leave them out and just stick to the sweets and cheese! The same goes for the Donnhoff, I would switch that out for the 2001 Chateau Climens. If you want, visit my website for the exact recipe, and please feel free to share some of your favorites with me. If I use them and add them to my PF's, I will send you a bottle of one of my favorite sparkling wines as a token of my appreciation.

Until then -Cin cin and Buon Appetito!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The word "delicious" is an understatement to how those raviolis tasted!!! "Wow" and "yum" where the only things I could say! Thank you Grae for those tasty treats!

xo,
Rosie

Anonymous said...

The word "delicious" is an understatement to how those raviolis tasted!!! "Wow" and "yum" where the only things I could say! Thank you Grae for those tasty treats!

xo,
Rosie