Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Grapes, Donut and Dom!

It seems that lately, the terms “BFF” and “Love” are loosely tossed, almost as often as a teenager strews clothes around a bedroom.

Yesterday my friend of 43 years, Joanie (a.k.a. “Donut”), spent the day with me. Together, she and I have been through it all - from growing pains to breakups, engagements to weddings, the joys of life such as having children, and the sad times, too, like the death of a loved one. What qualifies someone as a BFF in my book is not just being there through thick and thin (waistlines included!) but the consistent gifts of loyalty and non-judgmental love. I’m not sure if it’s a Staten Island thing or an Italian thing (or an Italian from Staten Island thing, OR perhaps it's a Donut and Grapes thing), but if someone does me wrong, they might as well have done it to her and vice versa.

The only way I can get Joanie out for some fun anymore is if I tell her I need her help (whether I do or not – that’s our secret). So this Sunday, she drove over the Goethals Bridge and braved the NJ Turnpike shore traffic because her gumpy "Grapes” (that would be me - ironically, she gave me that nickname in grammar school!) sent out an SOS. What to serve my Best Friend Forever was a no brainer… 1990 Dom Perignon! We kept the bubbles flowing with a double magnum of De Meric NV Catherine de Medici - not as prestigious as vintage DP, but we actually preferred it. (It always makes me smile when a “lesser” wine beats out the so-called “better” juice!) So here’s a sentimental toast to silly nicknames, great champagne, and dear, lasting friendships…

1 comments:

Alaina said...

Funny that you posted this. I was just trying to explain to someone what I think a real friend is. I used you as the example. I explained that we have known each other since third grade.( I remember you meeting me at the office to bring me to the classroom of my new school.lol)I explained we sometimes don't see each other for very long times.

I told her about your expression how when you care for someone you give them "a gift of time".(I love the way you explain that)also that friends don't keep score.I never understood that"Well I did this so I expect that person to do that for me". Friends do things because they want to not because they expect something in return.

I always know that I can call you if I need a shoulder to lean on or want to share some great news. I also love when I hear from you no mater what the reason. Our time spent together whether it be on the phone or in person is what I have always loved. My BF actually laughed the other night when he heard us chatting on the phone and we said when I get home we have to get together for a pajama party.

I have tried to tell my kids to be greatfull if they find even one true friend. Many people have many acquaintances, but real friends are few and far between.I have a few, one is obviously you.I consider myself extremely lucky.

By the way Joanie looks great send her my regards when you speak to her.