Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Alinea: A Truly Amazing Restaurant in Chicago

It was a late Saturday afternoon in December 2010. The auction just ended, and the main question thought on everyone’s mind wasn't how well the wines did, but instead, “Where should we eat?” Actually, I think it went more like, “Hey, what’s the best place to dine these days in the windy city?” Alinea, was the suggestion.

Neither Murph nor myself had never heard of Alinea, but we were happy to go. That is, until Marc said, “You’ll never get in. People wait months for a reservation.”

(End Scene. Lights Up. Enter Bill.)

“Wait,” Bill said. “Let me make a phone call.” Anticipating our superhero's return, Marc (a.k.a. the Voice of Doom) proclaimed, “Forget it. It’s not going to happen.” No sooner did his pessimism fill the air when Bill (minus the red cape) returned, cell phone in hand, with a voice on the other end asking, “What time would you care to dine?” Murph and I quickly glanced at one another. I stuttered slightly. “8 o’clock?” Response from our new best friend (a.k.a. the voice on the other end of the phone): “See you at 8!”



You know, you’re raised not to be tacky (as in not to gloat), but COME ON! This was classic, a scene lifted right out of a movie. This time, gloating to the highest power was called for, and gloat I did. (For the record, only I did the Happy Dance. Murph remained dignified, for he is dignity personified.)


Similar to the way an invitation sets the tone for an event, our experience began the minute we entered Alinea. The restaurant’s futuristic hallway guides you to a door that leads you into “The Room.” The dining space is simple and elegant, and the service superb. The overall experience was like nothing I’ve ever encountered. Murph said it best when he said, “It’s the Cirque du Soleil of dining,” Twenty two courses of delicious, edible art. I would share more about the presentation of these over-the-top delectables, but I don’t want to ruin things for you by giving too much away. If I did, it would be like the time my friend told me that Bruce Willis’s character in The Sixth Sense was dead while I was on my way to see the film. I still enjoyed the movie, but I would have enjoyed it a heck of a lot more without the newsflash.

One thing I must suggest is that you never leave the table – and I mean not even for a moment – because you may miss out on one of the restaurant’s many wonderful surprises. If you do visit Alinea, be sure to bring a gastronomist, or at the very least a "foodie," with you. Trust me, they will be beyond grateful and possibly agree to have your child.



The wine? I almost forgot to tell you about them! I can’t remember when that ever happened :) Here was the line up for the evening. Can you guess which one was the “Star?”

Didier Dagueneau Silex Blanc Fumè de Pouilly 2005
Leroy Les Pucelles 1er Cru Puligny-Montrachet 1999
Billecart-Salmon Brut Rosè, Mareuil-sur-Ay
Domaine de la Romanèe-Conti La Tache Grand Cru 1990
Gaja Costa Russi Barbaresco 1988





Answer: The DRC - was the big winner, winner, winner!
(Romannee-Conti is to Burgundy what Michelangelo is to the Renaissance)

And now for some trivia questions about DRC and La Tache. The answers are at the bottom of the blog. By the way, please share any wine trivia you might have with me...I LOVE IT!

1- How many cases of La Tache are made annually for the world?

A - 1800
B - 2200
C - 5500

2- Who said the following quote?

“It’s the scarcest, most expensive, and frequently, the best wine in the world. If you can lay your hands on a case - and that’s a big 'if' - you would have to pay £5,000 or more for a young vintage, double or triple for a wine in its prime. This is the purest, most aristocratic and most intense example of Pinot Noir you could possibly imagine. Not just nectar, but a yardstick by which to judge all other Burgundies.”

A - Robert Parker Jr
B - Jancis Robinson
C - Clive Coates

3 - Fill in the blank: The vineyard _______________ lies outside the borders of Vosne, France.

A - Romanée-Conti
B - Clos de Vougeot
C - La Tâche
D - Richebourg
E - Romanée
F - Chambertin
G - Musigny
H - Le Clos de Tart
I - Corton (a part)
J - Saint-Georges (Nuits)

4 - At the Sotheby's auction last April, a case of red Romanee Conti sold for how much?

A - $100,567
B - $150,897
C - $232,692

Answers: 1-A, 2-C, 3-B (Clos de Vougeot), 4-C

Here's something else I thought might interest you: the E. & J. Gallo winery in California, which is the largest in the world, produces 75 million cases a year, as opposed to La Tache, of which only 5500 are produced annually.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My greatest gastronomical event since the old days. this chef's approach to the hyper modern-avant garde movement was spectacular. there is no menu nntil you complete the meal when its presented to you with the wines consumed. I remember the first thing said were the "rules" which turned me off, but they were presented well and everything made sense. I have eaten in several places but this was the best at what it did...hear hear. thank you Grae, many happy returns let's try NEXT,